US-CERT has received reports of an increased number of phishing sites and spam related to the upcoming Presidential Inauguration. US-CERT reminds users that phishing and spamming campaigns often coincide with highly publicized events. Users should remain cautious when receiving unsolicited email.
US-CERT encourages users and administrators to take the following preventative measures to help mitigate the security risks:
- Install antivirus software, and keep the virus signatures up to date.
- Do not follow unsolicited links and do not open unsolicited email messages.
- Use caution when visiting untrusted websites.
- Refer to the Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams (pdf) document for more information on avoiding email scams.
- Refer to the Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks document for more information on social engineering attacks.